Sunday, May 2, 2010

My GearScore Rant

Well I knew it was only going to be a matter of time before I started my GearScore rant, it has always been in the back of mind. I said I would never do it because we already have a contributor on this blog the tends to rant a lot. I think they should make a WOW game title for it. It could be, "the Ranter", or something like that. Nebz, you wouldn't even have to do the prerequisite achievements. They would give it to you like they dish out honorary doctorates in RL.

I am not sure this will qualify as a rant, for I am not sure if I can do my hate for GearScore any justice when compared to the excellent article written by Fox Van Allen over on WOW Insider. His article entitled, "Spiritual Guidance: The GearScore is a lie", is a masterpiece for those of us that have been tainted by this mod.

His (no disrespect if female) focus obviously is his shadowpriest, but the article transcends all classes, I know it has impacted all of mine in some way, shape or form. I strongly suggest you read the article, his analogy regarding how GearScore works is outstanding. Shedding the much needed light on a mod that in my mind is absolutely useless.

Why is it useless?

I got sucked into the GearScore spiral of doom on a few of my alts with the very trinkets that Fox says are useless (especially to shadow priests). I did exactly what I shouldn't have done, I picked up the Talisman of Resurgence without a nary of thought, I was blinded by GearScore. So now on a few toons I have been trying to correct the issues but that is a long road to travel.

There are a few more reasons, most notable, the enchants and gems. Fox mentions, a good pug leader would take some time to actually assess your gems and enchants. I take oodles of time and if I didn't have all the professions covered, would spend tonnes of gold on the best (proper) enchants and gems. Maybe on my realms GearScore isn't the problem, hmm, maybe we do not have any god pug leaders on my realms. Well that is a different article.

It has gotten to a point where I don't even try to pug anymore (raids anyways) because every pug raid clown (err leader) is asking for a GS of over 5500/dps >7K/and the achievement for the likes of TOC10. Yeah, you read it right. This is what some pug leaders are asking for on my realm. I have played this game for about 5 years, when I choose a class for the evening or week I know how to play it, I have the best gear that I can get for my station in life and I know to stay out of the burning bits. But, I always get turned down for GearScore or I don't have the achievement on the particular toon I want to bring in.

Well I don't want to drag this out any longer. Maybe Fox should have titled his article, "Spiritual Guidance: Everything a Pug Raid Clown (err Leader) Should Know About GearScore", then take the time to actually realize GearScore isn't everything.

UGH

No comments:

Post a Comment